Welcome to the closing of the Watcha Wearin’ January blog tour! Almost time for the rafflecopter giveaway (more on that below)! Today, I’m talking maternity makes. But first, a few words from Ti at Sewing by Ti about the tour:
So many people start the New Year with great big resolutions. If one of your resolutions for the year was to sew more this year, you’ve come to the right place! I’ve got an amazing group of bloggers that are going to share with you what they and their families are wearing this month. All day, everyday.
We’re going to talk about fabrics, patterns, and styles. We’re going to show you how to take Ready To Wear inspirations and turn them into reality. But most importantly, we’re going to show you how we REALLY use our handmades in our regular lives. Whether that’s lounging around the house, going to school, work, family photos even formal events, we’re going to show you how to make them work for how you live.
Alright, so sewing maternity gear. I have mixed feelings, I admit it. One the one hand, I want to wear the same custom fit me-made clothes I like to wear when I’m not sporting the semi-beached whale look (give me a month, then full beached whale will be achieved). On the other hand, I am exhausted and having some painful pregnancy side effects, and, as mentioned above, am getting quite large, and I don’t want to take all the time and effort to sew something that I can only wear while gestating. It’s a pickle. Here is my solution. I’m going to make a mini maternity capsule! (And then a baby capsule, but that’s another post.)
- Maternity friendly, not strictly maternity wear – things I can wear while pregnant, but also postpartum. My goal is for these items either to work as is, or to require minimal mods to be belly friendly.
- Semi-professional. Gotta be able to look reasonably put together for working with clients in my non-sewing life.
- Not overly taxing on the noodle. Grad school + regular life + mommy hood + pregnancy brain = not a lot of brain power left for solving complex sewing problems.
- Nursing friendly is a bonus, but not a requirement.
I’ll be working on these over the next month or two (see note about exhaustion and pain and being large and in charge above), depending on how fast I can go. Remember, I do sew like a sloth. 😉
My planned makes:
- Open front cardigans – no need for belly mods there! I’m also going to do a special head-to-head match up feature of the cardigans below to compare them. I’m excited! Will there be a clear winner?! A tie?! Will they fight to the death in a gladiator battle in the Coliseum??? Okay, no, probably not that last one, but otherwise it’s anybody’s guess! 🙂
- Tunics/dresses – because I will live in them
- Love Notions La Bella Donna (affil link) – I love this pattern SO MUCH
- Patterns for Pirates Layer Me Up (affil link) with maternity mod – this is one of the few that will be a straight up maternity make, but I already have it cut out and it’s going to be so fun!
- Striped Swallow Designs Boheme Sky – hope to have this one done tomorrow for a special separate giveaway! 🙂
- Other – we’ll see how ambitious I get
You’ll notice a lack of pants in this list. Refer to the first requirement. Pants for pregnancy are maternity pants. When you wear them after pregnancy, they are still maternity pants (but they are ridiculously comfortable, so why should they just be for maternity?!?!?!). I may make some leggings because I can kind of fudge those. IF I do make a pair of maternity pants, I’d probably do P4P palazzos or something like that.
So, what do you think of the list? Am I missing something? Feel free to share your ideas!
Don’t forget to enter the rafflecopter giveaway! Look at these amazing sponsors!!! Some of my favorites are in here! 🙂